Affordable kitchen gadgets for the holiday season
This time of year is when kitchens see the most action. The only problem is that there seems to be less time to get everything done, so we did some research on cool kitchen gadgets that could make life a little easier. Since this is also the time of year where our wallets see the most action, we've made sure they're affordable.
1) Kitchen Gizmo Snap N' Strain Strainer. This is a strainer that fits on any pot. How does that work? It's silicone, which also makes it easy to store. (Amazon, $19.99)
2) Whiskware Pancake Batter Mixer. This product is a member of the BlenderBottle family. It comes with a BlenderBall Wire Whisk that makes it fast and easy to make pancake, waffle, and crepe mix. All you have to do is add all the ingredients into the bottle and shake. It houses a wide opening to pour in the ingredients and a sturdy base to keep it standing while you cook. Best of all, when you're all done, you clean it the same way you use it: add soap, water, and shake! Bonus: It's cheaper than you think. (Amazon, $14.99)
3) Dreamfarm Levoons Self-Leveling Measuring Spoons. Exact measurements are important. when baking. The handles on these measuring spoons squeeze together to make sure excess ingredients are scraped off. (Amazon, $14.95)
4) Customizable Cookie Stamp. This one is for the kids. This cookie stamp includes letters, numbers, and a variety of special characters to make baking cookies even more fun than it already is. (Uncommon Goods, $15)
5) Chef'n StemGem Strawberry Huller. If there's one thing nobody can deny about the holidays, it's that there isn't any shortage of desserts going around. We love anything with strawberries—even better if it's a plate of them covered in chocolate. If strawberries are on your grocery list, you have to add this handy little tool, too. It will pull the core of the strawberry right out. No more dangerous knife work. (Amazon, $7.95)
6) Quirky Pluck Egg Yolk Extractor. Separating egg yolk is one of the least fun kitchen moves (probably because it's super tricky). This yolk extractor is a necessity. (Amazon, $5)
7) Chefast Herb Scissors. If anything on here is a true time-saver, it's this product. These scissors provide a quick and easy way to cut herbs, eliminating the need for a cutting board (one less dish to wash!). Bonus: You can use them on fabric for crafting, too. (Amazon, $17.99)
8) StirMate Smart Pot Stirrer. This is arguably the coolest thing we found in our search. This device hooks onto your pot and stirs for you. It takes only 30 minutes to fully charge, then it's good to stir for 13 hours. You'll be multi-tasking anyway—might as well recruit a little help with this tiny kitchen robot. (Amazon, $42.68)
9) Kitchen Tablet Mount Stand. Recipe books are quickly becoming a thing of the past with thousands of recipes at your fingertips on the internet. This gadget can sit on its own or be mounted under a cabinet for easy reference and reading when you're following a recipe on your tablet. (Amazon, $32.99)
10) PhoneSoap 3 or HomeSoap. Whether you're reading a recipe off your phone or your tablet, you'll want to make sure it's disinfected before and after use. You don't want to bring any unwanted bacteria and viruses in or out of the kitchen. These UV-C sanitizers are clinically proven to kill 99.99% of harmful germs.* Check out the PhoneSoap 3 for smartphones or the HomeSoap for tablets. (PhoneSoap, starting at $79.95)
*Testing was conducted in a laboratory setting on actual phones, Apple watch, headphones, credit cards, and keys with a variety of pathogens, including Salmonella, Staphylococcus, and Coronavirus 229E. Real-world results may vary depending on size, shape, and material of phone or phone case. For more information, click here.